Saturday, June 13, 2009

Urban Hiking

I'm out visiting my brother in the lovely, urban San Mateo, which is a city-suburb of the lovely, urban San Francisco. I've been wandering around the city, seeing the sights. I've been taking the metro into the city and walking around in whatever direction I felt like going at the time. I enjoy touring cities by feel, relying on my sense of direction. I throw a city map in my bag, glance at the subway layout, and off I go.

San Francisco is a great city for walking around to see the sights. True there are wicked hills, but down by the water the land is pretty flat, making for good all-day walking.

One of my favorite ways to see a city after a full day of walking is to jump on the subway. I rode the subway out to the end of the line into the suburbs, walked across the platform and rode back into the city. No charge, no hassle, a free tour of the countryside surrounding the city. San Francisco has an excellent surrounding landscape, with striking scenery and great views across the bay.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment