Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Run a 5K? Why not

In the latest event in my series of boredom-inspired adventures, I decided to start running.

Now I'm a goal-oriented person, and I know that and acknowledge that. So when I turned my attentions to running, I decided to utilize that knowledge. I have tried to run in the past, and although I'm physically able, I hate it. I have talked to many people who share my aversion to running. It's just not a fun thing. So I gave myself a goal.

I outlined a schedule of 5Ks and longer runs for the next three months, since I knew my schedule and anticipated general location. I looked up some pointers and tips to start running.

"Start running slowly and gradually. Build up to distance. Just get out and be active. It will take many months to build up endurance. Start by taking a brisk walk, then run for 30 seconds followed by 90 seconds of walking. Alternate in short intervals. As you become more accustomed to running, increase the duration of your runs."

I ran 1.5 miles my first time out.

Less than 2 weeks later, I ran my first 5K.

I beat my target time, and won my age group.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment