Thursday, April 15, 2010

When Daily Life Is An Adventure: Getting exercise

This is where I work.

A typical day in the livestock department starts at 7am and ends around 5:30 or 6pm. During the day, we get plenty of exercise in a variety of ways.

Biking to work gives me cardiovascular exercise.

Milking goats gives me a hand strengthening exercise.

Lifting buckets of grain into and out of a truck gives me weight training.

Walking behind cows on a mile-plus-long cattle drive gives me exercise.

Putting away a couple tons of feed gives me some more weight training.

Putting up and taking down temporary electric fencing gives me more walking exercise.

Pounding in T-posts gives me strength training.

Running after a calf that lost its mom gives me more cardiovascular exercise.

Keeping that calf in a truck to take it to its mom as it flails and struggles is more strength training.

A typical day in livestock is very active. My office has no walls. The last work-related phone call I received was to confirm that I was going to give three baby goats their bottles for the lunch feeding.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment