Monday, October 11, 2010

Life Aboard: Work

Who knew working on cruise ships is super busy? Well, if I had stopped to think about it, they have to get the most out of their crew, since they don't want people just taking up space. The vessel is foreign-flagged, so American Unions have nothing to do with the ship. There are no strict rules about who can do which tasks. Everyone lends a hand and does whatever needs doing.

I pulled a 12 hour day today, and a 15 hour day yesterday. Tomorrow I get to sleep in until 9am, and we're not going through a time zone so we don't lose an hour. That's almost too easy.

I had an 8-hour work day a few days in a row, when I was able to get off and see a bit of Hawaii. That felt like a day off. Until I counted my hours and realized I worked a full day.

We count our hours here to make sure no one is overworked (minimum 10 hours of rest in any 24 hour period, minimum of a 6-hour continuous break every 24 hours). If not for that, I think the days would run by in a blurry haze. Now I can keep track of the hours ticking by.

I enjoy being busy, but I especially enjoy working on a project. Luckily, I've found myself in the middle of an install, which is a huge overarching project for the next couple of months. That gives shipboard projects a nice context, as I do maintenance, program smaller shows and remount a show from last season.

Work work work.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment