Saturday, January 12, 2013

How cruising is different from land: Morning Off

Today I worked 8 hours.  That's a small amount for cruise ships management.  Usually, I work 11 hours on a sea day.  On port days, I can work as little as 4 hours a day.  That's extremely rare.  I rarely work less than 6 hours, even on a port day.  The cool thing is what I do with the other 8 hours that I'm not sleeping.

I get to go on adventures before work each port day.  Either I go scuba diving, or climbing a mountain, or I take a trip on a scenic railway, or tour through the capital city of a small country.  These are some of my options on my morning off.  Who needs weekends when you've got this at your fingertips?

The Taieri Gorge Scenic Railway Train



Diving in Savu Savu, Fiji, with the beloved Koru Sun Divers 



A view from near the top of Mount Manganui on a perfect day in Tauranga, New Zealand

A look back at home: the Sea Princess tied up alongside at Tauranga, New Zealand 

The largest water village in the world, housing over 30,000 people: Kampong Ayer in Brunei



The largest mosque in Brunei, the Jame'asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque
As a disclaimer, I usually work 70+ hour work weeks.  For six months (or more) without a single day off.

So you choose between your youtube videos, Skype and unlimited access to Wikipedia, with your weekends off and public holidays and consistent access to ATMs dispensing a single currency, or this life.  Choice is yours.

I've made mine, and it's the pirate's life for me.  Next, I want to join the circus.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment