Monday, May 6, 2013

Liveaboard Scuba Adventure in Belize

This time, after I got off the cruise ship, in my brief vacation period, I was going to take a real vacation.

I was a bit nervous.

I had never bought a vacation package before.  I had never stepped on a plane for the exclusive purpose of going on vacation (as an adult, independently).  All of my travel has been adventurous, work-based, or multi-purpose.  My vacations have been road trips, backpacking stints or days off during intense touring of shows throughout the world.  I travel independently, with an adventurous spirit.  If I go somewhere, I'll just figure out what I want to do, bring a few good books, and wing it.

This time, I was buying an all-inclusive week aboard a yacht where diving is the sole focus.  Amazing. But I was going by myself, and I was going to relax.  I wouldn't know anyone (that doesn't bother me too much, but it might be awkward to sit alone at dinner.  Well, that's what reading is for), and I wouldn't have a job or a purpose.  No deadlines for walls to be built or paint to dry.  No daily schedule of tasks to accomplish.  Just me as a paying passenger.  Imagine that.

Time to investigate how the other half lives.



So I flew to Belize and joined the Sun Dancer II.  It's a 138-foot long, 4-deck yacht crewed by 7 people for 20 passengers.  A little different than our 857-foot cruise ship crewed by 850 people for 2200 passengers.

The schedule was diving all day, every day.  I figured this is ok, since 5 dives a day means 5 hours underwater, add a half hour to get ready to each dive, that's 7 and a half hours killed.  I could struggle through meals with some sort of conversation, with my limited social skills (another 2.5 hours), and I could keep to myself for any remainder (hey, 13 hours of sleep sounds pretty good, I'm on vacation!).  With that plan of social avoidance in the back of my mind, I felt confident about taking the vacation and making the best of it.

Starting from the airport the morning of joining the ship, my anticipated model of self-imposed exile was proved completely false.

I was cruising with a group of divers from Cleveland, on a trip organized through their local dive shop. Some of them had never met each other before, and many people were traveling on their own with the group.  So I walked into a group of quirky, dive-obsessed people looking to have a good time and be social.  Oh.  Cool.

So this group immediately adopted me, and I became one of the crowd.  I was not a solo traveler, but part of the Cleveland group (I think I've been to Cleveland...  Well I've driven through and I have a memory of a layover in Cleveland airport as a kid...  Close enough).  The days flew past, and time was spent getting to know everyone, sunbathing, raging about dives, comparing past experiences and generally having a good time.  Amazing.

So my first vacation, especially as a solo traveler, was a huge success.  No longer do I hold the impression that vacations are for couples, friends or groups.  Vacations are for me.  Even if I'm an introvert and would claim to prefer the company of a good book (yes, I read three throughout the week).

So here's a sampling of the 26 dives throughout the week, including the famous Blue Hole which drew me to Belize:
























Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment