Saturday, February 13, 2016

Security

Sometimes I catch myself doing domestic, responsible tasks, and I feel grown up.  When did that happen?  I draw the curtains closed and check all the doors are locked before going to bed.  I'm the last one up at night, usually, and I collect random glasses, turn off the printer, and straighten up.  I feel like a parent after the kids have gone to bed.  A touch of normalcy in a nomadic life.

Some of what I'm doing is due to my role, since the logistician is responsible for hygiene and security.  But the log is not a maid, and it's not necessarily me who is up latest at night.  I'm locking doors because I'm a responsible adult.  The logistician part comes in as I call a network of contacts to localize that last grenade blast, as I ask the watchman for a translation of the local radio announcement that tells the route of the anti-Rwandan protests being organized every weekend, as I label the security lights deterring theives from jumping the barbed-wire-topped walls.

You know, everyday adult things.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment