Thursday, May 26, 2011

T minus 6 days

My over-8-month-long odyssey on ships is drawing to a close. I'm about to embark on the inevitable vacation period that follows every contract. I'm still technically on my first contract, having never been home after working on ships. This will be an interesting one to figure out.

For the past 8 months, I have lived in a hotel. I eat in a restaurant with full wait service, elaborate menu, buffet line, fancy water glasses and table clothes. Every day, my bed is made, my room is vacuumed, my plant is watered, my desk is dusted and my trash is emptied. I wear the same uniform every day.

I wonder how it will be to adjust to land life.

The travel aspect won't be lost, since I'll be on tour in San Francisco then France, then probably back to Philadelphia, before rejoining a ship next fall. Not too shabby places to be. It won't be two new places per week across three continents, but I'll be able to spend time in cities and get to know the area that I'm traveling to. And two continents isn't bad.

On to Africa.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment