Sunday, May 18, 2014

Tombola

I have a lot of junk laying around the warehouse compound.  It's things like old mattresses, rusted sheets of roofing, broken fans, and other equipment that just might be useful enough to not throw away.  The problem is, I don't have enough space anymore.  We're doing a lot of work on the site (building a garage/mechanic's workshop, relocating the generators and fuel tanks, rehabilitating a car-washing zone and putting in a chlorine stockage building) so I need to get rid of absolutely everything non-essential.  It's a big spring cleaning.

We neatly stock and arrange all of this junk in a temporary tent to shelter the (half-broken) items, and I sort through them, giving them lot numbers.

The best way to get rid of everything is to give it away.  Free for me, free for who ever gets it.  So I'm giving everything away in a big raffle for all the staff.  I've gotten a list of everyone under contract on our project, put the names in a bucket, and pick the winner of each lot.  There aren't enough people for the lots that I made.  I have too much junk to give away.  I double some lots (here, take MORE junk).


I post the list, and everyone reacts positively.  The staff is very excited, and I settle the donation/gifting/item collection procedure.  Then everyone swarms the storekeeper, clamoring for their items.  People creatively bring their items home, using bikes, friends, children, and even an MSF car that's going in the right direction.



I've already found more stuff, so maybe I'll do another raffle in July.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment