Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hiking does not equal Mountaineering...

...And this is mountaineering. Quite a difference.

It's the tail end of fall here, and Mount Washington has a nice layer of snow on it. I've been hiking a lot (that's what you do when you have the White Mountains in your backyard), and I usually start out in fall, and end up in winter. At around 2,000 ft the snow starts to stick, and by 3,000, it's a good 3" deep, sometimes more, depending on which side of the mountain you're on.










I hiked the Imp Trail, which visits a glacial erratic on the side of Imp Mountain. The profile of the erratic looks like an imp, hence the name. Not as famous as the Old Man of the Mountains, now deceased, but still a profile. I guess there are plenty of those, in the Granite State.


A few thousand feet of elevation gain landed me among snow, and great views. I was across the notch from Mt. Washington, which was lost in clouds. The wind chill has been hovering around zero these past few days. I'm hoping to climb it sometime next week, if the weather holds.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment