Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm on a BOAT


Yesterday I joined the Golden Princess, a grand class ship operated by Princess Cruise Lines.

I flew to Ketchikan, Alaska to meet the ship mid-route to join. I flew all day Wednesday, then will join on Thursday morning.

Talk about a whirlwind day. I'm still on Eastern Time, here in Alaska (4 hours back), so the early start didn't phase me, but the day kept going. From joining and signing on, to putting my stuff in a random cabin to getting a tour of the ship to getting introduced to the theater, the morning was long. The afternoon consisted of plunging right in and learning the console and the idiosyncrasies of the theater, getting the hand over from the previous lighting supervisor.

There were some quick meal breaks and some down time sprinkled in, then it was a two-show night. The previous lighting supervisor ran the first show, then it was my turn. After few hours on the ship, I ran the evening's main entertainment.

It just goes to show, theater is theater. As cobbled together as my experience is, and as horrible as my formal education was, somewhere along the line I managed to learn all the necessary procedures and protocols that I can walk onto a 3,000 passenger vessel, step into its lavish theater, sit at the control for its multi-million dollar rig, and run a show. I think I'll make it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment