Friday, June 3, 2011

A Long Flight Home

I left the ship in Cape Town, South Africa. This is about as far from San Francisco, California as it is possible to get while still having direct access to a commercial airport. Luckily, I had an amazingly easy flight itinerary. Cape Town to Dubai to San Francisco.

I left the shadow of Table Mountain on a 6pm flight, spent 9 hours on a plane on a red-eye to Dubai.

I caught a glimpse of the Burj Khalifa in the haze, as I was waiting on the jetway to board the next flight.

Dubai is, east-west, directly around the world from San Francisco. Which meant a 16-hour, directly-over-the-top-of-the-world epic flight. Which meant a flight over the North Pole.

A slight deviation in flight plan, probably due to winds or turbulence, put me around the Americas side of the North Pole, which makes my trip home an official circumnavigation of the globe.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment