Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Things that I haven't done in the past 6 months

that I'm rediscovering how to do, after life on ships:

1. Cleaning (A room steward vacuumed my room, dusted, made my bed, rearranged my desk into some semblance of order, cleaned my bathroom and took out my trash.  Everyday.)

2. Cooking (Food preparation is strictly controlled on ships, and access to our nine galleys is prohibited.  Technically, we're not supposed to even have food in our cabins, I think.  All of our meals are served to us with table cloths, full silver wear and waitstaff.)

3. Carrying my ID (Everyone knows you on a ship, and if not, your name badge is always worn as part of any uniform.  On land, you must have your laminex [shipboard ID] to leave the ship, and this acts as an official ID.  You do not have access to your passport, since the ship keeps that, and your US driver's license will only get you laughed at in most countries.  Plus the drinking age is 18, if there is a drinking age, in all of the countries that we went to.)

4. Paying for things with US dollars (On the ship, a cashless system is in place, so everything gets charged to your onboard account, which you pay once a month in Australian dollars.  On land, things are in local currency, and credit cards are a hassle.  So everyone carries cash from whatever nation we're in, always with an eye as to if you will be going to this country again, and how much cash you will need for the day/week/month.)

5. Laundry on a regular basis (I sent my uniforms and work clothes down to the laundry.  I wore the same clothes all the time, with maybe 5 different shirts for evening work [when we had to provide our own clothes, dressing in business casual].  I washed my own socks/underwear, but that was on a monthly [or longer] timeline.)

6. Locking my door (Cabin doors lock automatically behind you when you exit, and keys are hotel-style magnetic key cards.)

7. Drive a car (Transport on a cruise ship is limited to walking, climbing stairs and riding elevators.  Transport on land does not require any operation on an individual's part, i.e. tour buses, taxis or public transportation.  Renting cars is frowned upon.  Driving on the right is prohibited.)

8. Having nothing to do (I will spend a solid month and a half on complete VACATION between jobs, getting to finally enjoy some down time.  I will be combining my Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter, along with every single weekend from October to April, into this time.  Ahhh...)


Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment