Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Glamorous Life of a Base Log: Walking to the Hospital

Today I walked over to the district hospital due to a computer problem in the lab. It's a short walk down the tarmac road to get to the hospital. Plenty of people are walking up and down the road, since there are no sidewalks or secondary streets. I'm the only mazungu in sight, though, and almost every local stares at me as I pass. The children usually bolster their courage and shout "HALLO" as I pass, and I wave a greeting.

I stop by a sewing stall in the market outside the hospital to have some cloth napkins made. A helpful neighbor comes over to help translate my request into Chichewa, but we don't really need the help, with gestures and measuring and counting on fingers. I agree on a price and I'll be back tomorrow to pick them up.

Then it's in to the hospital and to the lab, and back.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment