Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Retrospective: 10 of the more interesting places I've slept; part I

Everyone sleeps, and usually the hardest part about traveling is finding a good place to do it. Housing is expensive, and comfort is important. This series of posts shares some of my solutions to finding a cozy place to spend the night:

-In a tent in the middle of a cow pasture right outside of a small town in Northern England. I'm sure the town had a name, but after over a week on the trail, they all ran together. I was hiking England's Coast To Coast, a path first tramped by the fellwalker Alfred Wainwright. It was my first multi-night backpacking trip, my first solo trip and my first self-planned trip. I would walk all day, then find a convenient campsite (read: minuscule patch of ground, moderately flat, near the trail) when it got dark. At the end of this day, I was just entering a small town, and couldn't get through it before dark. So instead of seeking lodgings in the town like a normal person (England is very expensive, especially with the exchange rate at the time), I plopped down in a nice field right across from a school. There was an abandoned barn on the fence line, but when I pushed in and looked around, I found needles littering the ground. Oops. Backpedal. So it was into the middle of the field with my white tent for me. I spent the night, woke up with the dawn, packed up, and was on my way through the town. No one bothered me.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment